Adminer – an alternative mysql database management tool to phpMyAdmin
If you are a PHP programmer, phpMyAdmin should be a familiar tool for you. But to deploy phpMyAdmin takes a lot of steps and setting. Therefore I recommend Adminer as an alternative to phpMyAdmin.
In my experience, Adminer has several advantages:
- It consists of only 1 php file for the entire application, just upload into the web server and it is ready to deploy.
- Zero configuration, unlike phpMyAdmin which needs to fill in all the details into the configuration file.
- Simple user friendly interface, experienced phpMyAdmin users should have no problem in using it.
The installation steps:
- Download the latest version of the Adminer from the official site, as you can see, it has only 1 single PHP file.
- Upload the php file into the web server and run the file.
I am not going into details of each operation of Adminer because it is so similar to phpMyAdmin.
Extra security I recommend when using the Adminer:
- Use htaccess password protection to protect the Adminer file against hacker.
- Use https on the file.
- because it consist of only a small file, it is better to delete it from the web server once finished working and upload it back when needed.